Thursday, May 7, 2009

Molasses Cookies

In preparation for our camping trip this weekend(yes you heard me right, I'm attempting camping with a toddler) Chris asked me to make some molasses cookies. My mom used to make these anytime I went to stay with my grandparents because my Papa Dick LOVED them. I would find him sneaking 2 or 3 at a time when my grandmother wasn't looking. Everytime I bake them it brings a smile to my face thinking of him, plus I reading the recipe from my cookbook that's written in my mom's handwriting. I thought I would share this recipe with you since it has become a favorite around our house and some of our newest favorite recipes come from my fellow blogging buddies. A few tips about the recipe are to a) use a stand mixer if you have one since the dough gets VERY stiff, b)let the shortening cool for about 10 minutes so that it mixes right, and c) go ahead and double the batch because your family will thank you later!


Molasses Cookies

3/4 c shortening
1 c sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Melt shortening in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool. Add sugar, molasses, and egg; beat well. Sift flour, add soda, salt, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. Add to mixture and mix well. Chill for a few hours. Form into 1 inch balls for cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Enjoy!


I just couldn't do a post without a picture of Taylor, so here's a picture from during our outside playtime today. Taylor now knows to go to the door and point at the handle when she wants to play outside.

No comments:

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs