Thursday, October 7, 2010

I <3 my Cricut

I constantly see the amazing things other women are doing craft-wise, bookmark them as something I want to do, and when the bookmark section of my internet looks more like a book I start to go through them and attempt some of the projects.  One of the projects on my list was to learn how to cut vinyl with my Cricut.  I had actually taken several steps towards this like buying the vinyl and buying a wooden plaque for the front porch, but both items got pushed to the back of the craft room.  Back in August(yes I realize it shouldn’t take months to blog about a project), I decided that it was time to replace Chris’ fancy front door signs(see pic below) and finish my project.

  IMG_8702 IMG_8703 

It also meant it was time to do more than just play around with my Sure Cuts A Lot program.  I also referred to this blog for ideas on how best to cut vinyl myself.  After getting my laptop and machine to talk to each other, the whole process was really quick and easy.  So after the paint dried on my plaque it was ready for the stickers and hanging.  Now this pretty sign hangs above our doorbell.  It still amazes me how many people still ring the doorbell even with this sign, but the UPS guy is getting better.  Luckily it’s not the doorbell that wakes up Taylor, but our dog that goes CRAZY when the doorbell is rung, so I just pray the dog is outside on those few occasions people can’t read.

IMG_8705

After completing this project I was feeling pretty brave and offered to help make some stickers for signs for my friend’s Mad Hatter party.  This time I was a bit more adventurous in trying to make stickers that were a pointing finger.  After much searching for the perfect image, then figuring out how to get that image to work with my program, and some select words for the machine who would not do what I needed it to… they finally cut out correctly.  I was so excited when they finally turned out and can’t wait to see what they look like on the signs.  I cut out various font/size versions of ‘This Way’ and ‘That Way’ for the signs to go with the pointing fingers. 

IMG_8909 IMG_8907 IMG_8908

I now have Chris trying to figure out what all my Cricut can do.  It’s not very often that Chris gets excited about something that involves my craft room!

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

I must admit to a little jealousy that you have a Cricut! :) I recently made a sign for our wall that would have turned out much prettier if I had only had a Cricut! I ended up using a stencil and it's just not how I had imagined it! Enjoy your new toy!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs