Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wall of Love

Since we moved into our house almost 7 years ago, I knew I wanted to do something to decorate the walls on the stairs.  We have several areas of the house with large blank walls that just scream to be decorated.  I finally figured out what I wanted to do on the stairs, but knew it would be a it expensive to buy all the picture frames I wanted.  Over several months(and LOTS of Michaels’ coupons) I bought all the frames I wanted for the wall along our stairs.  Then I spent another couple of months figuring out which photos to use and how I wanted to lay the frames out.  Then I traced each frame on tissue paper to make an example so that I could figure out how to hang them on the wall.  I found this quote at Uppercase Living and customized it with the colors to match our house. 

image

This was the first time I had worked with the vinyl lettering and LOVE the way it turned out.  Once I put this on the the wall where I wanted, then I started placing all the tissue paper examples all around it.  Chris wasn’t sure what crazy things his wife was up to but just nodded and went along with whatever I asked.  He’s such a good husband!  Here’s a picture of my wall in progress.  I forgot to take a complete before or even one without any real frames up, but I think you get the idea.  The have hung tissue paper is where I realized that being 5’1 and trying to hang pictures up high don’t mix well.  One tip that I’ve read several times was to keep all pictures at eye level and it really helped me keep all the pictures in viewing spectrum.(just not Wendy reaching distance!)

IMG_5407

Taylor was helping me at this point since the other side of this wall is her room so I had to do everything while she was awake.

IMG_5409

Once I was happy with the placement of all my examples, I grabbed a hammer and nails and put a nail where I had marked the hanger on the tissue paper.  Let me tell you how easy this made the process!  After a little help from someone taller here is my finished product.  Please don’t look at the crooked pictures.  I plan on going back and putting sticky tape at the bottom of each picture to keep them from moving. 

View from upstairs:

IMG_5528

Going up the stairs:

IMG_5529

View from downstairs.  Please look past my clear clips, I was in the process of hanging garland to decorate for Christmas.

IMG_5530

Taylor loves pointing everyone out each time we go up or down the stairs and I love that!  Plus it’s so nice to finally let these picture have a place somewhere other than my computer, blog, or a photo album!  Now let’s see how long it takes me to keep the photos in the frames updated!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

That looks great! I wouldn't have thought of using tissue paper.

Sara said...

Wendy that looks wonderful! You have lots of patience and a good eye for frame placement.

annalee said...

i LOVE the finished product! and i'm so glad you share the tip of adding tape on the bottom. i'm going to do that to our collage wall very soon!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs