Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Look Mom I can sew!!!

I have a love-hate relationship with my sewing machine.  It loves to make the simplest things hard and I hate to attempt projects with it.  If you know me, then you know that I LOVE to stamp, scrapbook when I can, keep Taylor in hair bows to match her outfits, and dabble in other crafts as they come along.(I promise to attempt that rag quilt sometime this fall)  I usually attempt some kind of sewing every year around Halloween because costume shops charge you a fortune for a cheaply made outfit that I think I can recreate for much cheaper.  Then I’m normally still sewing right up until we need to wear the costumes and spent more in material and supplies than the store bought one. 

Then I kept seeing the pillowcase dresses for little girls all over blogs and Etsy.  The blogs talked about how easy it is to make them and I fell in love with a Texas Tech version on Ebay that wanted $60!!!  How hard could it be to make a dress that is basically a few straight stitches?  Maybe my sewing machine would give me a break for a little bit and just let me attempt this one.  Taylor really needs something Texas Tech to wear to the football games this fall, but I hate to spend alot on an outfit that she will grow out of in a few months.

Okay, so I talked myself into making the dress.  Found simple instructions online.  Got brave and thought I would dress it up by using two types of fabric while at the fabric store.  Bribed the sewing machine and finished up this awesome thing  in less than 1 1/2 hours.(consider that part of that time I had a little helper)

IMG_4552

I added the black and white polka dot fabric to the bottom to give it a girly look.  This will look so cute for the upcoming Texas Tech vs UT game and then I’ll add a long sleeve white shirt as it gets colder. 

Now we’re ready for football season to start!!!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Great job! Someone gave Canaan one of those. Maybe one day I'll try it as well. I've seen that when it's too little to be a dress it can still be a top to wear with jeans or other pants.

That is TOO cute!

Anonymous said...

Super cute dress Wendy! Great job. Maybe you will inspire me to sew some dresses for Laurel!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs